Monday, January 12, 2015

Mickey Rice Krispy Treats

I've been wanting to make these lovelies since my last visit to Walt Disney World in August. On our last day, in an effort to use all of our remaining snack credits, we raided the Main Street Confectionery. I'd picked up one of these chocolate dipped treats as a way to bring the magic home and wanted to come up with a simple version to make myself that had the same look.

I'd bought the cookie cutter at the Emporium on Main Street which turned out to be a great purchase... Doesn't everything taste better with ears?? I'd made the all-Rice Krispies version a few times before with my cookie cutter but wanted something with more of a park authentic look. (And without having to deal with melting chocolate and dipping.) So in came Cocoa Krispies...the result was perfect and they couldn't be more simple to make!


First follow the standard recipe to make Rice Krispies Treats and repeat with the Cocoa Krispies. You'll need:

1 box of Rice Krispies (12 oz.)
1 box of Cocoa Krispies (12 oz.)
6 tbsp. of butter
2 bags of Marshmallows, (10 oz. each)
1 or 2 large pots (think pasta pot size)
Large dish or pan (I used a glass 9"x13" Pyrex)
Cooking Spray
Spoon or Spatula
Small piece of wax or parchment paper (optional)
Mickey Mouse Cookie Cutter (any but I got this one with the little handle at WDW)
Ruler


Press the mixed Rice Krispies Treats into the pan. This "row" should be about 4 inches thick. Repeat with the Cocoa Krispies Treats above (same thickness). Make sure the Cocoa Krispies are molded to the Rice Krispies, so it's one big sheet. Let it cool just for a few moments... they're much easier to work with while warm.




Coat your cookie cutter really well with cooking spray (and all of the tools you use for that matter!) Line up your cookie cutter so that the dividing line is the ears portion. Then jam it down, using a wooden spoon to assist if necessary. Carefully take it up and repeat twice. 






Then fuse together the remaining treats so that you have another solid block, and repeat with the cookie cutter. I was able to get 9 of these treats out of this batch (the last three were difficult to mold since they had cooled and hardened) and just cut up the scraps for snacking.




The ones I made were super thick, like what you'd find in the parks - probably twice the thickness of the cookie cutter itself. However, if I was making them for a party favor, for example, I would use the same process but spread the mixes out on a rimmed cookie sheet with 4 rows of treats (Cocoa, Rice, Cocoa, Rice), and be able to get more out of this batch. (I would estimate that I could get 15 thinner Mickeys out of this recipe that way). And to clean up, don't fight with the marshmallow...just let your pots soak in warm water for a few minutes and it'll come right off. 

These would be so adoreable wrapped up in plastic bags cinched with a ribbon to give out as a party favor...and I love that they're simple enough that the kids can help make them, too. Or you could just make them to add a little magic to your week, like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment